As the days are getting shorter and shorter, we’re beginning to see temperatures dropping. This means Winter is on its way! There is no better time than right now to ensure your heating equipment is up to par for this year’s fridged North Virginia temperatures.
Here is what you can do to ensure you’re ready for the cold:
- Replace your filter. It’s best to get started with a fresh filter as you go into the cold months.
- Turn on your heat, it should fire up in just a few moments and begin putting that sweet, warm air into your home. It may smell a little funny at first as it gets warmed up.
- Listen to the unit. Is it louder than normal? Acting funny? Call an expert, prevent major issues by acting sooner than later.
- After about 15-20 minutes, use a standard thermometer to test the air temperature. If it and the thermostat don’t match, it may be time to replace the thermostat.
- Call the pro. Every Spring & Fall is a great time to be on a maintenance plan to ensure your units are taken care of for the season ahead. Learn more about Brigg’s Maintenance Plan here.
Other things to consider in preparation for Winter
Air can find it’s way in or out of virtually anywhere. Inefficient homes can cost you money and comfort. These few items can quickly help your home run more efficiently and be more comfortable for your family year round.
- When it’s cold outside, turn on the heat in your home. The air temperature difference will help you detect leaks.
- Walk around your home, place your hand near doorways, windows, vents, pet doors, and attic spaces.
- If you feel a cold air pocket or breeze coming through, you have a leak.
- Mark the leaks with tape or post-it notes to come back and repair.
- Do the appropriate repair for each of the air leaks.
Air leaks in the home are a leading factor to heat loss during the winter and cause the heating units to work harder to keep the space at temperature.
When you’re ready to switch on the heat this year, call Brigg’s to come out and service your heating unit. We look forward to helping you stay comfortable this year!